DataHawk SoV Analysis: Sandals

Get the latest eCommerce and Amazon insights and trends delivered straight to your inbox.

In December 2019, U.S. shoe retail store sales amounted to 4.3 billion U.S. dollars. In April 2020, store sales fell to 398 million U.S. dollars due to the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. (Statista).

Statista

It was reported in January 2020, that apparel, including footwear, was the most purchased product category on Amazon, rising from fourth place in 2017 when it trailed books, beauty, and electronics. And the most purchased fashion brands on Amazon were Nike, Under Armour, and Adidas, followed by its own private labels.

Let's have a look at the Sandals (Men & Women) category and the most popular brands of the category on Amazon at the moment.

We leveraged DataHawk's keyword rank tracker to analyze the competitive dynamics around the "sandals" keyword on Amazon by looking at products that appeared the most on the first page of search results over the past 30 days in the US. We analyzed 97 products from 50 brands ranking on page 1 for the Keyword “sandals.”

Share of Voice Organic Ranking Leaderboard

Here is an overview of the brands that had products spending the most time in the top rankings organically for the keyword “Sandals”.

DataHawk Share Of Voice: Sandals

In our Share Of Voice Research, we analyze the number of days during which products belonging to each brand have ranked organically in our desired ranking range, for our analyzed period and for our desired set of search queries. The result is used to compute the Share of Voice and efficiency by product.

The top-performing Brand Adidas as seen above is, priced at an average $30, it has a share of voice of 9.7%. UnderArmour is the nearest competitor to Adidas both in terms of pricing and share of voice. Priced at $20 it has a share of voice 9.5%.  

The product with the highest average price - “Birkenstock” priced at $67 has a share of voice of only 5.3%, ranked #5 out of a total of 50 brands that we have analyzed. The average price of the top 10 brands, also having the highest number of products in the category, is $34. This is much higher than the average price of the category. 

In fact, the products priced above the average price capture 46.7% of Share Of Voice from the top 30 brands on Page 1 for this query. The other brands left with a share of Voice of 39% are priced at or less than $27. In fact, 70% of the brands in the Top 10 are priced above the average price of the category.

What is interesting about this category is that the brands with higher prices are having a higher share of voice overall, which is very different from all the other categories that we have studied before. This reflects clearly the impact of branding in Fashion - Men's and Women's Fashion category and its sub-categories.

The lowest average price is quoted by Gibobby Women’s Sandals, $7. They have a share of voice of 2.2% only, but what is striking, is that they have managed to be in the Top 15 brands out of a total of 50 brands.

The Top 30 brands that you see here have a 85.5% share of voice, made up of a total of 80 products. The rest 14.5% share of voice is captured by other brands that have 17 products together.

The best average ranking list is dominated by Shoe Land” & “Dockerswith 1 & 3 products each. With its biggest customer base in Florida and Georgia “Shoe Land”  has had the best average rank in the category, #9 on Amazon.  It is very interesting to see that all 34 products listed by the brand on Amazon are for women. . They are surely dominating their niche. “Dockers”, the 30 years old Levi Strauss & Co. khaaki brand that specializes in Khaaki clothing for both men and women, has made its space in Sandals category also. 

Share of Voice Sponsored Ranking Leaderboard

DataHawk Share Of Voice: Sandals

Here is an overview of the brands that had sponsored products spending the most time in the top rankings for the analyzed keyword "Sandals".

The top-performing Brand,  Adidas with 8 products in the organic section has products as sponsored on Page1. Under Armour, however, with 1 product in the sponsored section makes a 5.6% share of voice. 

Out of the top 30, there are only 4 brands with 13 sponsored products ranking on Page 1, with a share of voice of 94.4%. The rest 5.6% of sponsored products from other brands did not make it to the top 30.

It is rather interesting to see that the brand “CUSHIONAIRE”, ranked 11th, has the most sponsored products on Page 1, bagging an SOV of 50% in the sponsored section v/s a 2.7% SoV in the organic section with 3 products ranking on page 1.

Amazon Essentials has a 22.2 % SoV with only 1 sponsored product. In fact, it is the second-best ranked brand in the sponsored category and is also the second-highest priced brand in the category. Amazon Essentials Women's Buckle Slip-on Sandal has a share of voice byproduct of 43.8%, the highest in the category.

We also found that the average ranking of all the brands among the top 30, that are sponsored in this category is rank#1. The sponsored section is thus highly competitive and top brand competing in this section are - “REEF”, “Skechers”, “CROC”, “Amazon Essentials” & “CUSHIONAIRE.

At DataHawk, we also compute product competition scores that reflect what extent the product is deemed to be competitive on Amazon and it’s based on a set of parameters such as the Pricing, Reviews, and Ratings of the competing products that are ranking for a given keyword. Here is our scorecard for the top competitor in this category.

DataHawk Product Competitive score

It can be inferred that the competition in this category is super high, especially for the top 5 rank positions. A product in this category with a high number of reviews, good ratings, and in the higher price range could make it to the top 30 for sure. 

The Organic vs. Sponsored Products SoV Leaderboard

DataHawk Share Of Voice

It can be seen here that the most sponsored products come from the brands - CUSHIONARE, Amazon & CROC . 

It is significant that Adidas, the top brand is ranking organically with no sponsored products. They have a 9.7% share of voice on the first page. The competition for these keywords “Sandals,  Men Sandals & Women Sandals” is seen to be tough but with the right insights and correlations, it is vincible. 

DataHawk Keyword Competitive score

Very strong competition for this keyword is seen. DataHawk also gives the search results and search volume that helps you analyze a keyword and see what keywords your competitors are ranking on.

Most of the products ranking for these keywords are ranking organically. If you are a brand in this niche it is important to understand how using smart branding and carefully designed packaging, innovative brands are able to differentiate themselves from their competition. 

The Organic Share Of Voice vs. Average Selling Price

DataHawk Share Of Voice

This graph is very helpful to identify the competition on the basis of Average Selling Price.  

The most sponsored brand has a close organic competitor, Nike, that has zero sponsored brands in the category. However, the closest is Quicksilver with 3 products, a share of voice of 2.9%, and an average price of $23. Quicksilver is ranked organically higher than Cushionaire without any sponsored products.

Falling in the category of high priced brands, REEF has a share of voice of 6.8% with 7 products on the shelf. The chart shows that REEF has made its own space in the category winning a bronze for its organic ranking.

Clarks is a brand that is the highest priced among the brands that are ranking low on the organic chart. This does give us an idea of the brand’s competitors but, here’s an insight, high pricing does not necessarily lead to better organic ranking. There are a number of other factors that impact this. One of them is the average price, a great indication of how pricing is impacting the organic ranking results on Amazon.

DataHawk enables you to make such an analysis very quickly. Download the complete analysis here.

Our study helped us analyze the best and lowest-ranked products in the Mascara category. Understanding why some products are best-sellers gives a blueprint to brands and sellers to follow. 

You can get all these tips and tricks with DataHawk. Read our 2min guides and use cases to master ranking on Amazon.

Get the latest eCommerce and Amazon insights and trends delivered straight to your inbox.


IE Notice
Please note that DataHawk no longer supports Internet Explorer.

We recommend upgrading to the latest Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, or Firefox.