1 out of 10 page visits on Amazon is attributed to Sponsored Ads as Amazon prioritizes sponsored placements by Brands & Sellers.
If you’re a brand owner or a private-label seller, there’s a relatively new solution to rank higher without using Amazon Sponsored Ads.
This feature of Amazon is “Editorial Recommendations”. Amazon Editorial Recommendations are short articles by a network of legit publishers, third-party content creators such as bloggers or influencers. who is #Amazon approved?
1. How does Amazon Editorial Recommendation Program work?
This feature is an add-on to Amazon Onsite Associate Program. It falls under Amazon’s affiliate program umbrella that serves the content related to products of Brands & third parties on Amazon. It is very helpful to catch shoppers’ attention while they are in the product research & discovery mode.
The small brief about your product can be leveraged to highlight & flag your product as the “best” product in the category and be more visible to shoppers during "search on Amazon".
So instead of promoting the products as affiliates, bloggers & influencers can now review and recommend the products on Amazon directly.
However, not everyone can write an Amazon Editorial Recommendation, the publishers are uniquely invited by Amazon itself. So, whenever a shopper makes a purchase via the link on the Editorial Recommendation on Amazon, the publisher receives their commission for that transaction.
Any content published on these Editorial Recommendations on Amazon is not influenced by Amazon, and this is exactly what makes it more trustworthy & legit for a shopper. The content, in fact, is syndicated from content creators’ websites who are invited to participate in this program. Amazon states, “The views and opinions expressed in the content are those of the content creator, not Amazon. Amazon does not influence which products are mentioned within the content.”
The best thing about Amazon Editorial Recommendations is that they appear on page 1. So, irrespective of what your Amazon Product Ranking is, you have a chance to be seen on Page 1. Even if your organic ranking lands you on page 3 or 4, your product will pop to the head of the class with an Editorial Recommendation.
2. Where do you find Amazon Editorial Recommendations?
As soon as you type in a search query on Amazon, you notice “Editorial Recommendations” that appear on the first page.
These recommendations typically appear below the sponsored products and above or below Amazon’s Choice products.
Search: Hair Styling Tools
And when the shopper clicks on “read full article ”within the section to read the complete article written by the Onsite Associate about the products related to your search.
3. Who can best benefit from Editorial Recommendations on Amazon?
If you are new to Amazon, you might want to wait for some time. This program is especially for those who have been in the space for quite some time and are established sellers having products on the top-selling list and those with a solid sales record & high review count.
However, if you are looking to get started with Amazon Editorial Recommendations as a beginner on Amazon, here’s a set of criteria that you are required to fulfill:
- You should be bagging $30,000 a month in sales
- You must have a minimum of 100 reviews with at least a 4-star rating
- Your product should be falling in the top 20% of the Amazon Best Seller Ranking list for a given category.
- The product listing shouldn’t have any medical claims.
- Your product must have plenty of inventory in stock.
- The listing should not have words that are potentially offensive, for instance, something against religion.
Amazon Editorial Recommendation is therefore great for those who are selling well on Amazon and are looking to Optimize and reduce their spending on Ads and still have high visibility.
4. The Value in using Amazon Editorial Recommendations
1. Editorial Recommendations improve an ASIN’s overall performance, with better:
- Organic rankings and conversion rates
- SEO on Google and other search engines
- Bottom-line results for PPC campaigns
2. They’re larger than most sponsored ads, and size alone encourages shoppers to pause and consider a brand’s listing.
3. Editorial recommendations are a highly effective way to guide more shoppers to your listing versus your competitors’, as they take up much more visual real estate within the search results.
4. They allow you to capitalize on top-related keywords. For instance,
Try DataHawk's Amazon keyword research tool to find the most profitable keywords.
In the Blenders category on Amazon. You can see that this editorial recommendation is published by Business Insider.(Article title - ”The Best Blenders”)
You will always find multiple categories here. In this case, it is: Best High Power Blender, Best Vacuum Blender & Best professional-style. This nudges the shopper with the keywords they are looking for the most. For example, a customer might not be looking for something budget-friendly but professional. In that case they would go for the third option.
Amazon Editorial Recommendations thus addresses the benefits that would interest different shopper personas and thus make it easier for them to reach to the purchase end.
Keep an eye on your competitors using an Amazon Keyword Tracker.
5. For how long is an Amazon Editorial Recommendation visible?
An Editorial Recommendation on Amazon is based on keywords. It works exactly like sponsored product ads. The articles for each category go in a rotation, especially for recommendations containing competitive keywords.
So some customers will see your recommendation, while others may not. It completely depends on the query they type in the search bar.
6. What if you don’t agree with the content
If you find that your product is not being represented accurately, Amazon recommends you “engage directly with the content creator to address any concerns.”
7. Why should sellers care about Amazon Editorial Recommendations?
- Editorial Recommendations drive a lot of sales at a bargain rate.
- Your product gains a critical outside endorsement from a reputable publisher.
- Your product is labeled as one of the ‘best’ products within its category.
Keep a track of your Amazon Sales Rank to see how Amazon Editorial Recommendations trigger growth.
8. How to get amazon editorial recommendations?
In order to have your product featured in an Editorial Recommendation, it’s important to have an internal public relations team or a PR firm that can advocate on your behalf to publications that are Amazon Onsite Associates. Forming relationships with your media contacts, stay in regular contact about new products, seasonal products, and upcoming launches.
While meeting the criteria set by Amazon helps, we strongly encourage brands to work with a public relations expert. Through a PR agency or in-house PR efforts, brands can gain access to Amazon Onsite Associates. This will eliminate the uncertainty of relying on the off-chance a product will earn an Editorial Review on its own.
Why is Amazon Getting Rid of the Early Reviewer Program? What are the ...